Tom Peters highly recommends the book, “EVEolution:The Eight Truths of Marketing to Women” by Faith Popcorn & Lys Marigold (buy it at Amazon.com or Kalahari.net).
In his generic presentation on Re-Imagine, Peters extracts some key learnings for anyone who takes women seriously as a market (and everyone should!). Each of these thoughts links marketing to women very strongly with the connection economy mantra we preach here.
- Connecting your female consumers to each other connects them to your brand
- The â€˜Connection Proclivityâ€™ in women starts early. When asked, â€˜How was school today?â€™ a girl usually tells her mother every detail of what happened, while a boy might grunt, â€˜Fine.â€™
- Women don’t buy brands. They join them.
In typical Peters style, he then has his Women 10:
1. Men and women are different.
2. Very different.
3. VERY, VERY DIFFERENT.
4. Women & Men have a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y nothing in common.
5. Women buy lotsa stuff.
6. WOMEN BUY A-L-L THE STUFF.
7. Womenâ€™s Market = Opportunity No. 1.
8. Men are (STILL) in charge.
9. MEN ARE â€¦ TOTALLY, HOPELESSLY CLUELESS ABOUT WOMEN.
10. Womenâ€™s Market = Opportunity No. 1.
I don’t agree with every one of his points, but I think I get the point!