The UK government statistics department lists information on the flexibility of the UK workforce. Here are some interesting highlights:
- Over 25% of the UK workforce “sometimes” work at home
- The number of people working in “mainly” at home accounts for 2.5% of the workforce – almost double the number who did so in 1981
- Of these, 69% are women
- People who work from home more then one day per week account for 3.5% of the workforce
- Of these, 41% have degrees as opposed to 16% in the workforce as a whole
- Overall, average pay for home workers is well above the national average
- 7% of the workforce report having no fixed place to carry out the work.